Vehicle Repair Frequently Asked Questions
WHAT ARE YOU DOING ABOUT COVID-19?
In these uncertain times, everyone’s “usual” is anything but usual. Please know that we are continuing to monitor the evolution of COVID-19 in our communities and our utmost concern is for the continued safety and wellbeing of our staff and you: our valued customer.
Auto Repair has been deemed by federal and local governments as an “essential service”. Paint and body repair falls under this umbrella, thus we remain open and ready to serve you.
Now may be a great time to bring your car in for the repair that you couldn’t fit into your schedule previously. We have a full staff on-hand at all of our locations and now offer additional services to aid in preventing exposure during the repair process:
We will arrange for pick-up and/or delivery of your vehicle so that you never have to leave the comfort and security of your home.
Interior common spaces such as car seats and steering wheels will be covered with protective plastic while your vehicle is in our shop.
The interior of your vehicle will be chemically sanitized before it leaves our shop.
Our commitment to your satisfaction is still guaranteed. We work closely with your insurance provider, keeping you informed along the entire process and are solely committed to your satisfaction and safety.
Thank you for your business and please be safe in this time of uncertainty.
WHERE DO I GET A CLAIM NUMBER?
Claim numbers are issued by your insurance company at the time you report your accident. Just jot it down and bring it in with you when you come in to begin the repair process, we will do the rest.
WHAT ARE YOUR BUSINESS HOURS?
Most of our shops are open Monday-Friday from 8:00am - 5:30pm, however, check the shop's location page for special extended hours.
WILL PARTS BE PREORDERED?
No. Since the process of fixing a car starts from the inside, there will most likely be hidden damage. The parts order is held until the vehicle has gone through a proper disassembly. Then all the parts are ordered once and received once. This helps eliminate multiple starts and stops on a repair and results in a more timely repair.
CAN YOU MATCH THE PAINT COLOR?
Today's modern factory finishes incorporate multiple layers of highly specialized paints. We have made a major investment in the finest paint system available and constantly upgrade its technology and equipment to ensure that each vehicle's paint matches. We take special pride in our ability to match factory finishes as the final step in the restoration process.
HOW LONG WILL THE REPAIRS TO MY VEHICLE TAKE?
We will do a proper disassembly to identify all the damage. Once complete we will order parts and contact you with a guaranteed completion date. On average repairs take 8-10 days (includes weekends)
CAN I GET A RIDE HOME WHEN I DROP OFF MY CAR?
Yes, we would be happy to provide this service to you. We want each customer's visit to be a positive experience and will work diligently towards that goal. We provide a pickup and delivery service with prior arrangements.
HOW CAN I GET A RENTAL CAR?
If you need a rental car, we can help you make the necessary arrangements. Insurance companies will only pay for a rental car if you have that option on your policy or if you are the claimant. Check your policy and/or call your insurance company to find out if you have rental coverage and what your specific limitations are.
HOW WILL I KNOW WHEN MY CAR IS DONE?
You will be notified by phone when your vehicle is ready to be picked up. You can also check the vehicle status page of this website. You will see a message next to the last picture of your vehicle telling you that your vehicle is ready to be picked up. Feel free to call or e-mail your advisor during the repair process if you have questions or concerns.
IS THERE A WARRANTY ON THE REPAIRS TO MY VEHICLE?
Yes. We guarantee all repairs with a Limited Lifetime Warranty. Parts are not covered by this warranty and default to the manufacturer's warranty.
DO I HAVE TO PAY A DEDUCTIBLE?
The amount of deductible that you will be responsible for is determined by your insurance policy. If you carry broad collision, and you were not at fault, your insurance company most likely will waive your deductible. Insurance companies determine fault by your account of the accident when you make the claim, and by reviewing the accident report filed with the police department. If you aren't sure about your deductible, call your insurance company to determine if you are responsible to pay when you pick up your vehicle.
WHO DO I PAY MY DEDUCTIBLE TO?
If your deductible is not waived, it will be your responsibility to pay us when you pick up your vehicle.
WHAT FORMS OF PAYMENT DO YOU ACCEPT?
The easiest and most convenient way to pay for your portion of the repairs to your vehicle is to endorse your insurance claim check and submit it to the shop. In most cases, your insurance company will pay us directly for the repairs (less deductible if applicable). We accept Visa, Master Card and Discover, cash and personal checks up to $500. For more information, please see our Payment Policy.
WHAT IS YOUR PAYMENT POLICY?
All repairs must be paid in full at the time of vehicle’s delivery.
John Harris Paint & Body Shop, Inc. offers a payment policy with several ways for you to pay for your vehicle’s repair. We will accept:
- Insurance company checks, endorsed over to John Harris Paint & Body Shop, Inc. Any insurance checks you may receive are intended for the payment of your claim. Please do not cash these checks. Please leave these checks with our shop at the time of vehicle delivery endorsed over to John Harris Paint & Body Shop, Inc. Any issues with insurance company payments are more easily reconciled when we have the actual check. This helps eliminate the possibility of any additional delays or expenses that you may incur. Insurance checks received that contain a lien holder or other third party payee should be addressed prior to vehicle pickup.
- Certified check from the bank payable to John Harris Paint & Body Shop, Inc.
- One personal check with approval limited to $500.00 maximum. (Any additional amount due over $500.00 must be paid using a different payment option.) The check must be dated for the day of the delivery; no pre or post dated checks accepted. Two forms of identification must accompany the check. We do not accept second party personal checks or temporary checks.
- Company checks (any check written from a business account) will not be accepted without prior written approval from Corporate Accounting or our General Manager.
- Master Card
- Money Order
- John Harris Paint & Body Shop, Inc. “direction to pay” form signed by the customer when the vehicle is brought in for repairs.
WHAT ARE BETTERMENT CHARGES?
Parts that wear out and need replacement with time and use (i.e., tires, batteries, and suspension parts) are commonly subject to betterment charges when they are replaced during the repair process. These betterment charges are determined by your insurance company and are pro-rated based on actual miles on your vehicle.
CAN I WASH MY CAR?
Recommendations and precautions in the first 30 days
- Wash the vehicle by hand with cool water and a very mild car wash solution using a soft cloth or sponge.
- Always use clean fresh water.
- Wash your vehicle in the shade
- Do not use a commercial car wash. Stiff brushes or sponges could mar the finish and damage the surface.
- Do not "dry wipe" your vehicle. Dry wiping can scratch the finish.
- Do not drive on gravel roads. Chipping the finish is easily done in the first 30 days.
- Avoid parking under trees and utility lines which are likely to attract birds. Bird droppings have a high acid content and will damage a freshly painted surface. Also, tree sap can mar or spot a freshly painted surface.
- Do not spill gasoline, oil, antifreeze, transmission fluid, or windshield solvent on the new finish.
- Do not scrape ice or snow from the newly painted surface.
Recommendations and precautions in the first 90 days
- Do not wax or polish the vehicle. This will allow the finish to dry and harden completely.